About Me

My photo
Hi, Welcome to my Blog. I'm an eclectic kind of crafter delving into many pots. I am just about managing to keep up my Scrapbooking Diary (usually about 6 months behind), plus any cards as required. I have a new found love of watercolour and Bible Journaling plus recently Junk Journaling too. Previously I've also dabbled in ATCs, Tags, Altered Books, Mixed Media, Art Journaling, Décopatch, Knitting, Crochet, and Embroidery amongst other things. I live in Surrey, UK with my husband, our son has left home now. For exercise I usually play Badminton and go Ballroom and Latin Dancing, but am plagued by a bad back. I like walking which I couple with Geocaching and sometimes Bouncing on my Rebounder (mini trampoline). I guess I am officially retired now. I am a born again Christian, currently worshiping at my local Vineyard Church.

Tuesday 26 August 2014

Cane Hill Hospital - Geocaching

Out doing some Geocaching and came across the old derelict site of Cane Hill Hospital. We have been living in the vicinity for 15 years but never knew it existed - so all thanks to Geocaching.

It would seem that the main area of this site was a mainstay for urban explorers when it was closed down in the early 90's. Not much of the original buildings are left now, just the imposing Water Tower and the Chapel.

It does look like the site will be getting developed at long last and I believe these 2 features will be retained, although in what capacity I do not know.

Anyway footpath 744 cuts right through the site where the main area is cordoned off with huge metal fences.

There are however a few buildings on the opposite side of the footpath which are not fenced off and I was enticed by some colours through the trees. I found these mosaics made by some of the last residents in these outer buildings. I just thought these ought to be preserved in pictures too.



There was a building name and a date plaque.


Either side of the Well on its facing wall are what I thought were depictions of Spring, Summer and Autumn.

Then sure enough round the corner was Winter.

Such colourful mosaics which may be lost when the site is redeveloped but now can live here.

1 comment:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These mosaics are awesome, BJ. I'm so glad you preserved them for us to view. I'm doubly impressed because it sounds like these were done by people who were not mosaic artists, but residents of the place.

What a history lesson you have provided us with, too. I really enjoy reading about and seeing places I'll probably never visit.

So I take it there were no birds on the barbed wire.